Thursday, April 12, 2007

A little life secret revealed...

People, I'm going to let you in on a little life secret... If you have a good, big macaroni and cheese casserole stashed in your freezer at all times, you have a secret weapon against all the trials and tribulations that life throws at you. Macaroni and cheese is the ULTIMATE comfort food. Over the course of my reign as Domestic Goddess, I have learned to keep not one, but TWO in my downstairs freezer, just in case: one for me, and one to give away to needy and deserving people. I have taken this dish to people who have just given birth, moved house, have been stricken with all manner of illnesses, from cancer right down to the flu... In many cases, it has been the Mother of the house who has been stricken by illness, while the rest of her family is in fighting form and ab-so-lute-ly STARVING... I'm telling you, this dish is The Bomb.

Because I am a benevolent Goddess, and because I trust that all of you reading this share my feeling that There Is No Better Gift Than Food, I am going to share my recipe with you. I warn you, however, this is not food for the faint of heart (or the intolerant of lactose). This macaroni is a caloric orgy; a complete bliss-out for the senses. I promise that it will not only fill your stomach, it will lighten whatever load of worries you are carrying.

Now, throw that diet book right out the window and get cooking!!


The Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese

6 c cooked macaroni
1 small package of Velveeta cheese (or half of a larger package)
3 c old cheddar cheese
1 c Monterey Jack cheese
1 c Swiss cheese
3 eggs
2 c half and half cream
1 c sour cream

Cube the Velveeta, and grate all other cheeses (use a food processor for this, if you have one, or you're going to wind up with a sore elbow, and a few grated fingers to boot). Beat the eggs and cream in a large bowl, and then add the cheeses and stir. Combine with the cooked macaroni.

Place into a one huge, greased casserole... or two, smaller round ones. Top with additional grated cheese.

(Now is the time to cover one casserole firmly with heavy duty saran wrap and tin foil, and put it in the freezer. Thaw it completely before putting it into the oven.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

This recipe is courtesy of Oprah Winfrey... obviously from her pre-diet phase...

No comments:

 
Web Analytics