Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Famous Five... Plus Three


Today, we again ventured up to Parliament Hill. I wanted to show my girls one monument in particular... the wonderful statues of The Famous Five. It was hard to explain to my three daughters that less than one hundred years ago in this country, women were not considered "persons" in the eyes of the law. They were absolutely incredulous when I explained to them that this meant that women used to have limited opportunities and rights, and were considered inferior to men.

Father: (JOKING) Yeah, THOSE were the days...

Child Number One: (NOT JOKING) Well, Dad, without women there would BE NO MEN.

Together, we read the plaque that lists the names Emily Murphy, Henrietta Muir Edwards, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung and Irene Parlby, and describes how on Oct. 18, 1929, they won a landmark court ruling that recognized women as "persons", allowing women to sit the Senate.

I lined the girls up in front of the statue and took a photo of all of them-- the Famous Five, along with My Three... girls whom I hope will always appreciate the many rights and freedoms that they enjoy. Girls who, I'm sure, will live rich, full lives and achieve their individual potentials because of it.

Thank you, Emily, Henrietta, Louise, Nellie and Irene, from My Three Girls and Me.

No comments:

 
Web Analytics