Thursday, June 28, 2007

The New Resident in The Goddess' Garden


Can you spot our new baby?

This tiny little brown bunny has actually been sighted in The Garden a few times over the past week... but I have resisted telling the girlies about it until today, because I wanted to see whether she was actually making her home here with us. Today, I discovered her burrow under one of the Butterfly Bushes in the upper flowerbed!

The girlies and I spent a delightful afternoon outside, waiting for her to come out for a little hop around. She seems to like it when I put the sprinklers on-- with the heat being as bad as it is these days, there is apparently nothing quite so delicious for her to munch on as newly-dampened grass.

She is so teeny that I assume she must be very newly separated from her mother. We are resisting the great temptation to feed her, as I feel it is important that she learn to survive on her own. She doesn't seem to be frightened of humans, really, at all... she actually scurried right over my foot the other evening while I was out watering the flowers! We won't get TOO close to her... but it is lovely to lie on our tummies in the grass and just watch...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that is so precious! I totally envy you. I live in the desert so I'm drooling over your green grass, let alone the bunny!

Reverend Shawn said...

Yeah ... the little bunny is cute now ... then she starts eating your flowers ... digging holes everywhere and fulfilling the proverbial "breeding like rabbits" saying ... and you will be less impressed ...

It is cool though ... and she is cute ...

BUT ...

merinz said...

How wonderful to have wildlife in your backyard!

Look out for his little blue coat - maybe he's Peter Rabbit.

Candygirlflies said...

Hee hee...

I actually asked the girls what we should call her, "Flopsy, Mopsy or Cottontail"...

The jury's still out on the name, but I'll keep you posted! In the meantime, I'll be looking out for a tiny coat and pair of shoes...

Anonymous said...

I would come straight over to visit if we lived even in the same region (which I doubt we do). WE get scorpions and gila monsters in our backyard, you get soft fuzzy bunnies. Sometimes I questions my choices...

Candygirlflies said...

Rev,

A Big Daddy bunny has been living under a big pine tree for the past four years or so... no garden damage from HIM yet, but I'll be sure to keep on the lookout amongst my perennials in the back...

And as for population, the more the merrier, according to the girlies!! Maybe I could rent any rabbit progeny out as helpers to the Easter Bunny next spring if it gets too intense back there.

And don't even THINK about suggesting STEW... "I know you of old", as Beatrice said to Benedict... You've been warned!!!

Candygirlflies said...

Kristy-- you're welcome to visit ANYTIME, and bring all those kids of yours!!!

ewe are here said...

Bunny!

It's bunny season here, too - just love seeing them come out to nibble when we're out and about.

Reverend Shawn said...

Candygirl ... Stew is SO passe.

I would recommend broiled with a basting of red wine and seasoning!

Tis much more flavourful !!

Candygirlflies said...

Rev,

Silly boy.

In this house, we prefer "rarebit" over "rabbit" for OUR suppers...

 
Web Analytics