Saturday, June 16, 2007

For My Dad.


My father is an extraordinary human being.

But it is extremely difficult for me to try and convey the enormous sense of affection, admiration and gratitude I feel towards the man, because first and foremost, my father is a reserved and very proper English Gentleman. He's not a "touchy-feely" kind of guy. Talking about emotions like "love" makes him slightly uncomfortable. Heck, having "Happy Birthday" sung to him makes the man blush, and tiny beads of perspiration break out on his forehead.

However, all my life, I have firmly believed that my Dad and I are truly "cut from the same cloth". We have a connection, an understanding. I have never in my life, ever, been unsure about the enormous love and devotion my father feels for me. It has never needed to be said. The innumerable things he has done for me, and with me, speak far louder than any words ever could.

And although I will be giving my dad a nice little present (one of those high-tech gadgets from the hardware store that pops dandelions right out of the lawn without necessitating that you actually get down on bended knee and PULL... He's going to LOVE it), and a Father's Day card when I meet him for brunch tomorrow morning...

I know that the best way to convey to my dad how much I love him is to continue to try my very best to live by his example, and to pass on all that I have learned from him to my own three daughters.

You're still doing a great job, Dad. Thank-you.

1 comment:

Reverend Shawn said...

Your father truly is an extra-ordinary human being ...

I've thought it since the moment I met him (in a non-medical setting) ... standing nervously behind his beautiful daughter ...

I also know he has taught his children well ...

Happy Father's Day wishes to your father, (and to you as you busily pass along his wit, wisdom and the nape of the cloth the two of you are so clearly cut from ...)!!

 
Web Analytics