Friday, December 16, 2011

December 17


Toccata from Symphony No. 5
by Charles Widor, and performed by organist Peter Hurford


For my parents, who have been "manacled together" for 45 years today.

Just a little over half a decade ago, I broached the subject of another significant anniversary celebration with my mum and dad. When I call home, they often pick up separate phones, mostly because they love me, but also so that they can both join in the conversation, and needle one another:

Me: So... the big 4-0 is coming up fast, eh?

My Mother: Yes... BASIL. Our FORTIETH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY is coming up! What are we going to do about it?

My Father: (dryly) Get a divorce.

This conversation became the catalyst for a mammoth heist on the part of my brother, sister and me, which turned into a surprise party of epic proportions. I say "epic", not because of the size, lavishness or expense of the celebration, but because of the simple fact that my siblings and I successfully managed to "pull the wool over the eyes" of the two people in our lives with whom we have NEVER gotten away with ANYTHING.

Dear Mum and Dad:

It goes without saying that my admiration and immense gratitude for you both knows no bounds... so I will spare you any nauseating, mushy tributes here, and will treat you to dinner, instead-- so long as you both promise to share one entree, and lay off the booze. (Kidding! Kidding...)

--Your Loving Daughter




No comments:

 
Web Analytics