Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Joyful Noise

"St Cecilia"
by John Melhuish Strudwick

Today is the feastday of Saint Cecilia, who is the patron saint of musicians, and more specifically (and dear to my heart), church music. She is often represented in art with an organ, or holding organ-pipes in her hand.

And so, in her honour, I post one of my favourite pieces of music, played on the magnificent pipe organ at King's College Chapel, Cambridge, England. Turn up the volume, people, and enjoy!



The Toccata on Placare Christe Servulis Op. 38 No 14,
by Marcel Dupré, and played by Philip Ledger

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth:
make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise."
-Psalm 98

1 comment:

Nan Sheppard said...

I liked "Blow, thou winter wind", a lot. Aren't some of the words Shakespeare?

St. Cecilia reminds me a bit of Saraswati, the Hindu Goddess of music and scholarship.

 
Web Analytics