Sunday, November 30, 2008

December 1


"I Wish You Christmas"
by John Rutter
performed by The Cambridge Singers and the Farnham Youth Choir

Happiness is... December.

I'm so glad you've dropped by to listen to the first day of my annual "Musical Advent Calendar". If you are new to "I Can Fly, Just Not Up", then you will want to bookmark this site for the next month or so... Every day, I will be posting a new piece of Christmas music for your listening enjoyment. The player is up over there on the right of your screen-- just click on the little arrow button. Each selection will be available for you to hear for twenty-four hours, as many times as you'd care to listen.

The American author Bess Streeter Aldrich wrote, "Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart... filled it, too, with a melody that would last forever."

That's what music-- and Christmas-- is all about: that incredible feeling of the lifting of the spirit. The cares and worries of the daily grind falling away, even if just for a few moments.

I hope that your daily visits here will help you to feel just that.

"I wish you music, I wish you song,

With voices echoing joyous and strong,

I wish you church bells ringing true and clear,

I wish you Christmas,

A Merry Christmas,

A Merry Christmas to remember all the year!"

2 comments:

merinz said...

Thank you for our first treat!

I will be away for the next 10 days without computer access so will miss several visits. :(

ewe are here said...

Beautiful... I've never heard this piece.

 
Web Analytics