Sunday, February 3, 2008

Who needs the Comedy Channel??


This morning, the girlies and I snuggled into the couch under the fuzzy new afghan I have FINALLY completed, to watch one of my favourite musicals, "Brigadoon", with the splendiferous Gene Kelly.

It's always a treat for me to share a great film with my children. They know an love most of the golden oldies, and ask to watch them on dvd, WAY more often than they ask for modern (crapola.... er, ahem.... CONTEMPORARY) entertainment.

I must confess, however, that this morning's movie was slightly more of a "hard-sell" to my girls than I am accustomed to...

We started out ok. The sets and costumes passed their critical judgement.

However, when the characters started popping out of the scenery armed with bagpipes, all three of them balked:

Child Number Two: (scowling) He's faking. That guy's not really playing.

Child Number One: (howling with laughter) His fingers aren't moving on the chanter!! Lookit THAT!! He's not even blowing into the mouthpiece!!

Child Number Three: (in loud agreement) UNCLE not do it like dat!!

It would appear that my brother, who is a magnificently gifted piper, has unwittingly "blown" Brigadoon for my kidlets.

I won't even TELL YOU about the paroxysms of uproarius laughter that occurred during the wedding scene when the characters attempted a pseudo-"highland fling".

Sheesh. Better not tell them that my mother named me after one of the songs in this movie... That would give the little jokers fodder to ridicule me for the rest of my life.

We enjoyed the movie, all right. Who in their right mind can resist the merry sound of their own children's peals of giggles???

I'm not too sure that my beloved Gene Kelly would have appreciated it, though...

6 comments:

painted maypole said...

i have never actually seen bridagoon - on stage or on screen. must fix that. and find out your real name in the process. ;)

crazymumma said...

What Maypole said.

Plus, I love that you share the oldies with your girls. What a brilliant idea. I remember my parents took me to see Breakfast at Tiffanies when I was a girl, and to this day, every time I watch it or listen to Moon River I remember sitting in between them.

That said.

They also took me to The Godfather and covered my eyes at the horsehead scene. So go figure.

Reverend Shawn said...

"OH OH OH !!!!
I KNOW THE ANSWER !!!
I KNOW THE ANSWER !!!

Candygirlflies real name is ..."

TO BE CONTINUED !!!

Candygirlflies said...

Hint: It is NOT Bonnie Jean.

(Isn't ANYBODY listening to the music???!!)

xo CGF

Reverend Shawn said...

I only listen to the music in my head ...

... it helps drown out the voices !!

(JUST Kidding!!)

seriously though ... I try to listen each day!

Anonymous said...

Great work.

 
Web Analytics